If you want to provide your services for MyDialogue, you must read and comply with these policies. If you do not accept them, you will not be authorised to tutor MyDialogue.
These rules are intended to provide a framework for a student-tutor relationship and ensure that it is of a high standard. It fixes clear expectations and principles that tutors should comply with when offering their services to ensure that they conduct themselves ethically and professionally.
1. Tutor Registration and Service Description
1.1 Tutor Registration
In order to become a tutor, you must fill out our application and provide an official government accredited identification (e.g. passport ). MyDialogue will evaluate your application. You must also provide a video which will be used to introduce yourself to students on MyDialogue.
If your application is successful, you can create a profile on the MyDialogue platform, and start to offer tuition.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, MyDialogue may obtain (i) background check reports from public records or through third party venders regarding matters such as criminal convictions or sex offender registrations, and/or (ii) identity verification check reports. As a condition of applying to become a Tutor, you agree and authorise us to use your personal information, such as your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports. In order to obtain such identity verification checks, you further agree and authorise us to provide the copy of your passport or an official identification card that you have submitted with a third party vendor,
1.2 Tutor Services Description
All tutors must provide a description of themselves and a video introducing themselves. You must:
- Set expectations that you can meet or exceed.
- Do not include in your profile any personal contact information, including but not limited to, email, telephone number, or social media details.
1.3 Tutor Requirements
You must be a native speaker of the language you wish to tutor and be at least 18 years old.
2. Tutor Services Guidelines
2.1 Tutor Service Request
- Use the MyDialogue platform to manage all student inquiries.
- Respond promptly to messages, from both students and MyDialogue.
- Keep a record of all important details of communication between you and your student.
- Respond to all requests from students by accepting, declining, or proposing a time/date change.
2.2 Session Policy
- You must commit to your scheduled session. You can cancel as a last resort, but you must keep your student informed. If you are absent for a period of time and are unable to respond, please indicate this on your profile and let your students know.
- You must keep records. You should maintain a record of all important details with your students. All sessions will be audio recorded for the students. If a dispute arises between you and your student, you will be obliged to provide evidence through screenshots, and the student can send audio recordings to MyDialogue.
- Start at scheduled time. Tutors should initiate the call.
- Wait for a late student. If your student is late for the session, you should wait for 20 minutes. You are not required to make up for lost time if the student arrives late.
- End the session on time.
- If a student does not attend a session and reschedules it, you are not olbiged to accept the request.
2.3 Cancellation and Rescheduling
If unable to make the scheduled date and time, you must inform your student and MyDialogue more than 24 hours before the scheduled time. You can cancel and then reschedule by organising a new session.
If due to an emergency, you are unable to inform your student in time, inform them of situation as soon as possible. If you cannot make a session, you will have the possibility to transfer it to another tutor, if your student does not mind.
2.4 Payment and Feedback
When you provide any services, you must:
- Use the MyDialogue payment service. Payment will only be provided once that the student has confirmed that the session has been completed and was conforming to the regulation. If the student has a problem, MyDialogue will be contacted and a case will be opened.
- Provide helpful, objective, balanced feedback for your student. You must rate them with two ratings, a Fluency Rating, rated 1-5 (How much effort is taken for the person to talk?) And an Accuracy rating, rated 1-5. (How accurate is the student?)
2.5 Additional Guidelines
- Maintain the privacy of your own personal information.
- Maintain records of all invoices and payments in connection with your tutoring.
- Cooperate with MyDialogue in any anti-fraud actions and in resolving any disputes.
- Report any violation of the MyDialogue Terms and Policies.
3. Service Standards
3.1 Be Culturally Sensitive
Respect the values and traditions of your students. Unless specifically requested by your student, please refrain from discussing:
- Your student’s personal life. E.G, marital status.
- Your student’s political affiliations.
- Your student’s religious identifications. E.G. , do not ask your student if he or she believes in God or identifies with a religious group.
3.2 Be Patient and Polite
Please remember that levels differ amongst students and it is imperative to be patient and polite. Encourage your students through their learning process.
- Do not shout at or insult your student.
- Do not use rude or offensive language.
- Do not lose your temper.
- When teaching your student a new word, send that word to your students in the student’s native language using the MyDialogue look up tool.
- If a student is struggling to find the correct word, encourage them to use MyDialogue’s look up tool.
If you have any problems, or are unable to correctly deal with a situation, do not hesitate to get in touch with The MyDialogue Team.
3.3 Be Professional
- Be responsive. MyDialogue sends you notifications, but if you have notifications turned off, or you use the web app instead of the phone app, you will have to check your account on a regular basis. Respond to messages in a timely fashion. When you receive a ‘ Be My Tutor’ request from a student, respond within 48 hours.
- Manage your calendar and profile. Ensure that your calendar reflects your availability. Students will be able to see your last login time, so tutors who regularly manage and use their account will naturally attract more customers. If you plan to take a break, update your profile so that this is reflected.
- Respect the privacy of your student. Recording audio or video of your student is not allowed.
3.4. Teach Effectively
- Review sessions .Before starting the session, please review the session so that you have an idea of the topic you are discussing.
- Initiate the conversation. When the video ends and the conversation starts, you, the tutor, need to initiate the conversation and ask the first question.
- Conversation guides. MyDialogue’s conversation guides (set of 12 questions) are intended to help you start the conversation with your student, but you are not obliged to stick to them. They are pointers to help you.
- Continue the conversation. Ask follow up questions to your student’s answers in a non conflictual manner to try to encourage them to expand on the answer. For example, ‘can you tell me more’ and ‘can you give me an example.’ Keep the conversation going for the period of the session and let your student speak as much as possible. You can make up details or events to help continue the conversation. You do not have to give out true information.
- Teaching. When teaching your student a new word, explain the meaning of that word then send it in the student’s native language using the look up tool. Correct assignments within the week of receiving them.
- Please correct your student’s mistakes.
- Follow up – Ask your students if they liked the session and if they are happy with your service.
4. Violation of this Policy
You are expected to provide your services in a way conforming to the above standards and regulations. You are in breach of this policy, if:
- A conflict arises and you fail to respond to your student or a member of the MyDialogue team when carrying out the inquiry.
- You provide a poor tutoring standard which results in a low level of student satisfaction.
- You violate MyDialogue terms or policies.
MyDialogue reserves itself the right to carry out any of the following actions, at our discretion:
- Cancel your tutor account.
- Contact law enforcement.
5. Tutor Content
The terms of this section regarding content applies to all tutors offering their services on the MyDialogue platform.
5.1 Tutor Content Ownership
Any materials that you use when teaching or videos that you upload (for example, your introduction video) fall under member content. You own the copyright to this content, not MyDialogue.
5.2 MyDialogue Content Ownership
The materials that MyDialogue provides to help your tuition (videos, questions, writing assignments) are owned by MyDialogue, not the tutors and cannot be used outside the platform. If a tutor is discovered to be using them outside the platform, they will be removed from MyDialogue.
5.3 Student License to Tutor
If you produce your own content, outside the content that MyDialogue provides you, you grant each student who uses your services a right to use, view and copy it for non-commercial educational purposes. You acknowledge that all the representations, warranties, license grants and other provisions of the MyDialogue terms apply to all content that you upload on MyDialogue.
5.4 MyDialogue License to Tutor Content
You hereby grant MyDialogue a license to use your tutor content (including your introduction video and profile name ) and information about your services for marketing, advertising and promotion purposes. MyDialogue has the right to publish your introduction video to our official channels in third-party video hosting and streaming paltfotms, for example, Youtube, Vimeo. Upon receiving a written request from a tutor, MyDialogue will remove tutor content, for example, introduction videos, from our official channels on third-party video hosting and streaming platforms.
- You are prohibited to provide or post false, misleading, inaccurate, or plagiarised information on MyDialogue. Your educational background, professional experience, native language and other languages that you speak must be accurate.
- You cannot provide a free lesson in exchange for positive ratings and feedback.
- You are prohibited to create fake student accounts and organise fake lessons between them and yourself with the purpose of improving your rating.
- Encourage or permit your students to conduct sessions with you outside the MyDialogue platform or accept payment outside of the MyDialogue platform. If a student asks and persists that you provide them a service outside of the platform, please report that student to a member of our team.
Should you violate these prohibitions , MyDialogue has the right to suspend or deactivate your account. If you think that an action that you may undertake could violate the rules described above, but you would like some additional clarification, please ask a member of our team.
7. Employment Policy
On our platform, you are self-employed. MyDialogue is not an employer. MyDialogue provides you with a platform that gives you the opportunity to connect with people who are searching for the services that you offer. You can tutor in a way that you and your clients find effective, and although MyDialogue provides you with material, e.g. questions to ask and topics to discuss, you are in no way bound by these questions.
It is your responsibility to report any self employed income that you make. MyDialogue does not assist you with this. MyDialogue recommends that you check your country’s laws and legislation to ensure that you are compliant. To obtain proof of payment, you can print your invoices.
To use the mobile application, you must have access to a smartphone with a camera and microphone. To use the web application, you must have access to a computer with a camera and a microphone.
You will be able to select a price that corresponds to you. Within each price range, you can offer a subscription service at a discounted rate. A silver subscription is 4 sessions per month and a gold subscription is 8 sessions per month.